1950-1959

1950

Wilder Dam and the 33,000 kilowatt hydroelectric plant were completed in 1950. At this site on the Connecticut, Rogers’ Rangers, returning from a 1759 expedition during the French and Indian War, had their raft demolished on the turbulent White River Falls. (E-2)

1952

Two new elementary schools were built, Lebanon’s in 1952 and West Lebanon’s in 1953. In 1958, just 190 years after the town’s first schoolhouse, all of the town’s high school students were united in one new building on Hanover St., in Lebanon. (D-8 & G-3)

For many years, horse-drawn vehicles were the chief means of transportation for Lebanon residents. In 1952, town officials found it necessary to reserve one space “For Horses Only” among the parking meters around the park for the town’s last horse and buggy. (F-8)

1954

At a testimonial reception held on December 12, 1954 the people of Lebanon paid tribute to two fellow-citizens, elected to serve the state and the nation: Governor Lane Dwinell of New Hampshire and United States Senator Norris Cotton.

The last of the town’s covered bridges was demolished in 1954. It is uncertain just when the first of these picturesque structures appeared here, but there were at least 26 of them built in Lebanon in past years, 15 railroad bridges and 11 on highways.

1956

Since 1956, Thermal Dynamics Corp. has designed, manufactured, and sold ultra-high temperature plasma systems. Plasma, a gas super-heated to 20,000 degrees F or more by an arc, is used for cutting, welding and spraying metals, processing, testing and research. (B-2)

1957

Lebanon College has been active since 1957 as a non-profit institution offering adult education to high school graduates and non graduates, teachers, businessmen, employees, and students. A variety of cultural and practical courses have been offered. (D-8)

1958

The Lebanon Historical Society, organized in 1958, has been actively engaged in collecting and preserving the Lebanon story, past and present. Many thousands of clippings, publications, photographs, and relics have been given to the historical collection.

A new charter establishing the City of Lebanon was approved by the state legislature, and the plan – including a mayor-council form of government – was adopted by the voters in 1957. The change to a city took effect in 1958, 197 years after the town’s founding.

Previous: 1940-1949
Next: 1960s

Lebanon Historical Society: P.O.Box 18, Lebanon NH 03766
©2016 Lebanon Historical Society