1920-1929

1920

For the town’s first organized winter carnival in 1920, a 25-foot ski jump was built of box boards. In 1923, a professionally-designed jump and the first local ski team paved the way for international recognition of Lebanon’s expert skiers and instructors. (F-8)

1923

The old building first called the Meeting House, then the Town House, and finally the Town Hall was destroyed by fire in 1923 after serving Lebanon for 130 years. The new 1924 building housed a meeting hall, a theater, a courtroom and various town offices. (F-8)

1927

Split Ball Bearing Corp. (now known as Timken Corp.) was formed in Lebanon in 1927. Winslow Pierce perfected the roller bearing with split races which allowed easy assembly on long shafts. Minature precision bearings, from pinhead size up, were another major development at S. B. B. in 1936. (F-8)

Previous: 1910-1919
Next: 1930-1939

Lebanon Historical Society: P.O.Box 18, Lebanon NH 03766
©2016 Lebanon Historical Society