Bricks were made by hand by the earliest home builders. Brick-making as an industry has been continuous in Lebanon since Thomas Potter started the first brickyard, possibly as early as 1770. Densmore Brick Co. has been in operation since 1883. (D-7)
After four years of controversy over a location, the first meeting house was built on Seminary Hill, West Lebanon. This 34 ft. x 48 ft. building stood about 10 years at the site now indicated by a stone marker. It was then moved to a new location on Farnam Hill. (H-4)
Three hog reeves were elected to impound stray pigs roaming at large between May and October. This town office, which continued until 1878, was the object of much ridicule at town meetings but was often filled by eminent citizens who performed their duties well.
The American Revolution called 91 men from Lebanon to leave their farms for the service of their country. Others enlisted to help protect the town from possible attacks from Indians or from the British in Canada. The town’s population at that time was 347.
A dam at Mascoma Lake and a sawmill and gristmill were built in 1778 by Elisha Payne on land granted to him by proprietors in the eastern section of town. East Lebanon soon became a thriving and fast growing center of business. (C-15)
Lebanon voted in 1778, along with other valley towns, to secede from New Hampshire and unite with Vermont. After endless intrigue and bitter disputes involving the towns, the states and the Congress, Lebanon finally rejoined New Hampshire in 1782.